Sunday, January 27, 2013

A spoon full of sugar...

As many of you know flu season is here based on the mass influx of substitute calls/jobs I am getting. As a substitute and teacher it is always important to take care of yourself. I am probably the worse at this if you ask my husband, but since I don't have medical insurance and when I get sick I get super bad sick almost everytime, I am trying to take preventative steps. So since today is very a Mary Poppin's inspired blog post I thought I would share my system. I begin every morning with taking two Airborne chewables and two Echinacea pills, then making sure I have a good balance ( as best as  possible) lunch, insuring that I am getting plenty of healthy fluids in my system throughout the day. I know that teachers in general with a lot of support from myself are the number one supporters of soft drinks. I am not saying cut it all out I am just suggesting counter acting it with water, so one soft drink one bottle of water.When/If I do get sick I take the Mary Poppin's song almost literally, I start with a spoonful of honey and then drink tea or water and rest whenever possible.

Sticking with the Mary Poppins theme, the almighty never ending bag! As a substitute/teacher at times it is important to have this resource avaliable. I like to have a few things in my bag as emergency supplies in case of last minute lesson plans, get done with an activity earlier than you expected, or if something is not working as far as teaching the lesson left. Just this last week this bag saved me in a Kindergarten classroom I was in to fill time that was left open when we flew through a interactive whiteboard activity.

To make a Mary Poppins bag the first thing you need is a bag/tote.

Next you need to find some books that can span multiple age ranges. This is what I currently have in my bag. These are great time fillers, I always make it a big deal that I am going to share something special to me with them.

I always include a folder with some back up lessons in my bag that I have all the supplies for,or would only have to go run copies fast.

Then I include a notebook where I write down thoughts or ideas that I see/experience in a classroom that I look at later for inspiration of what I want in my future classroom, as well as great ideas to blog about.

Finally a binder with a calendar, my business cards, and daily summary reports as well as school calendars for the districts I am subbing for, and contact/direction information for the two school districts.

Stay healthy and hope this insight was able to inspire you!

Have a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious week!





Coug Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment